New Version available
What’s new in SpartaDOS 4.41 (relative to 4.22)
News in no particular order.
* support 128k intSDX cartridges, Maxflash cartridges, and the Turbo Freezer 2005 cartridge emulation.
* fixed the banked memory management so that all
PORTB-based memory extensions are handled properly.
* the CONFIG.SYS file can now contain comments:
any line starting with a semicolon is ignored.
* the default CONFIG.SYS is now stored as a file
on the CAR: device and loaded from there instead
of being hardcoded inside the kernel.
* the CONFIG.SYS file can now merge a part of it
from another file while being procesed.
* CONFIG.SYS selection mechanism integrated with
the kernel: if there’s a subdir named SPARTA.DOS
in the main directory of the boot drive, and it
contains *.CFG files, a menu is displayed allowing
the user to use any of the *.CFG files instead
of the main CONFIG.SYS file to configure the
* do not force boot drive number to D1:, unless it
is unset by the OS. Makes it possible to boot from
the drive selected by the hard disk driver.
* make CRUNCH recognize a comma as an argument
separator in command lines.
* new symbol U_GETKEY pointing to a routine reading
a byte from the keyboard. Make it to be done through
HATABS. COMMAND.COM & friends now use the symbol.
* new symbols: COMTAB2, DEVSPEC, DEVNAME giving access
to new variables and device tables.
* detect and use the 65C816 CPU for faster DOS
initialization, if present. Also set a flag (at
COMTAB2+$B4) for programs, indicating the presence
of this CPU.
* fixes to load CONFIG.SYS from extended FS.
* fixes to use 15 disks.
* an attempt to overwrite DOS kernel or I/O library
while loading a file aborts the loading and causes
the error 179 „Memory conflict“ to occur.
* PRINTF has a new subfunction: %L – print long
* NUL: (null) device is now available; writing to
the device has no effect, reading from NUL1: (NUL:)
causes end of file error, NUL2: returns unlimited
zeros, NUL3: returns unlimited random bytes.
* closer integration of the SpartaDOS-specific
devices (CON:, PRN:) with the underlying OS.
Installing any E: driver changes the CON: driver
now as well.
* the international charset is now usable in
OSRAM modes (in SPARTA OSRAM only if not more
than 6 buffers are defined).
* New symbol ERRNO holds the last-occurred error
* new version of the SpartaDOS filesystem (2.1), able
to cope with sectors greater than 256 bytes,
implemented in the formatter’s BUILDDIR function.
* new density (DD 512) added to the formatter’s menu.
* fixes to use 15 disks.
* for RAM-disks and hard disks the formatter will
now read the existing volume name and display it
in the menu (this applies to SpartaDOS filesystem
* fixed to access 15 disks (A: – O:)
* implemented new, extended version of the SpartaDOS
filesystem, able to handle 512-byte sectors.
Partitions up to 32 MB are now possible.
* implemented user-selectable date/time formatting
* for files larger than 999999 bytes, display the
file size in kilobytes when listing the directory.
* added new function of the misc entry: 32-bit
integer to decimal ASCII conversion (misc 11).
* the MKDIR bug (wrong status code in the new
directory header) is fixed.
* the RMDIR bug (while removing a directory,
the status byte was set to a value identical as
for a deleted file, so you could never undelete
a directory reliably) is fixed.
* the ERASE bug (when the file being deleted was
marked as „boot“, the boot pointer in the
bootsector remained unchanged) is fixed.
* the GETCWD bug, causing it to omit filename
extensions in the path returned, is fixed.
* the RENAME function is modified so that you
shouldn’t be able to generate two (or more)
files with the same name using the RENAME
* fixed the bug in directory formatting routines
causing it to screw up displaying the year
number in the directory listing.
* fixed the ‚Y2K‘ bug in directory formatting
(when year == 2000, the datestamp was not
* ODATER/OTIMER/TDOVER are back.
* FS inconsistency no longer causes the DOS to
halt, it now aborts the operation and displays
an error 181 „Filesystem corrupt“.
* warm reset no longer resets current directories.
* the SEEK (i.e. POINT) function should now be
much faster on very long files.
* Atari-style directory (DIRS in COMMAND.COM) now
shows subdirectory extension, a colon is used to
indicate a subdirectory (MyDOS-style).
* XEP80.SYS fixed to work with PAL computers and
made more configurable.
* RAMDISK.SYS and SIO.SYS fixed to access 15 disks.
* RAMDISK.SYS uses 65C816 block move instructions
if the new CPU is present.
* RAMDISK.SYS now defaults to the O: drive.
* new SIO driver SIO.SYS featuring better serial
speeds control and other nifty stuff.
* new COMMAND.COM extensions: RUNEXT.SYS and
COMEXE.SYS. The former provides custom filetype
associations, the latter automatically manages
the module while executing an *.EXE file.
* new driver: ARCCLOCK.SYS (ARC clock driver)
* new driver: CA2001.SYS (CA-2001 Synchromesh)
* new driver: PBI.SYS fixing the problem with
burst transfers from a harddisk to the memory
* new driver: Z.SYS, allows you to access the
time/date functions from BASIC (compatible with
the old ZHAND from SpartaDOS 3.2).
* new driver: QUICKED.SYS, a software screen
* COMMAND.COM is now extensible.
* preceding a binary filename with a # in COMMAND.COM
now forces the SDX module to be switched off before
loading (i.e. it does the same as X.COM).
* the COMMAND.COM can now do ECHO ON/OFF while executing
* Batch files execute with ECHO OFF by default.
* Batch files can now contain conditionals (IF … ELSE
… FI), procedures (PROC … RETURN), jumps (GOTO,
* Batch files can react on keyboard input.
* imported available utilities and incorporated
into the CAR device.
* new utility: APPEND.COM
* make DUMP.COM recognize the /A switch (activating
the ICD’s code present in the program, but not
* fixed a bug in DELTREE.COM causing it to hang
occasionally (DELTREE is former KILLDIR).
* INIDOS.SYS cleaned up, made more idiot proof.
It can now initialize the Maxflash and TF version
* CHKDSK command removed from the COMMAND.COM and
added as a separate and a bit more sophisticated
program (try CHKDSK /?).
* minor cleanups in MDUMP.COM.
* CHVOL.COM and RPM.COM fixed to work with the new FS.
* TD.COM fixed to be Y2K compliant. It now also exports
new symbol I_TDON, so that user programs might
control the TD Line externally (Z.SYS interfaces this
to the OS‘ XIO directives).
* similar thing made to KEY.COM (I_KEYON is the symbol
exported). Some cleanups made, too.
* cleanups in FIND.COM
* fixes in the DF.COM related to 15 disks and other
* CAR.COM now can execute internal BASIC properly even
if the computer has a 1 MB RAM extension.
* CS.SYS obsolete
, now integrated with the kernel.
* quite a few new utility programs added.
* UNERASE.COM famous bug (described by Nelson Nieves
in 1991) is fixed.
* fixed a bug in ARC.COM causing a „hang“ while
extracting with the screen off option and asking for
an overwrite confirmation.
1) CAR=d:>CAR.SAV, BASIC=d:>BASIC.SAV
These variables used to point to the I: drive in a fixed
manner. Now they are set by RAMDISK.SYS to the actual
ramdisk drive number (O: by default), unless already
set by user.
This variable does not get set by the system now – you
can still define it on your own, though, and its function
is the same as before.
Should point to an existing executable. If defined, the
Command Processor uses this executable instead of its
internal COPY command.
4) DAYTIME=1 or DAYTIME=2
Selects the date/time format for SPARTA.SYS and the
Command Processor. 1 is MM/DD/YY and 2 is DD/MM/YY.
Points to the disk where temporary files are welcome.
Set by RAMDISK.SYS to its drive number (O: by default)
unless it was already set by user before.
– based on works done by: Prof!, MMMG, DLT Ltd.
– new code and design: DLT Ltd.
– hardware: Pasiu/SSG, Jad, Zenon/Dial, DLT Ltd.
– hosting: krap.pl
– devtools: DLT Ltd., Tebe/Madteam, others
– other support: ABBUC, Epi/TRS, Krap, Mikey, Pin/TRS